Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 5, 2006, 9:21 AM   #31
DBB

TTfoto wrote:
Quote:
DBB wrote:
Quote:

So, think of a Robin standing next to your Pterodactly, and tell us how much longer than the Robin?

Dave

OK...first off let me say again that I'm by no means an expert. In fact, I never shoot birds. He just happened to be there posing for me so why not.

Sorry if I confused some people, but it was not intentional.

As for the size comparison, I can estimate that he was about 50% taller (longer) than a robin. He was also quite a bit "thicker" than a robin. Very sorry that I can't be more specific than that, but I did not make a mental note of it. However, if it's THAT important, I can maybe measure the "bird box" as a direct comparison.

Hope I don't have to go that far, but if I must...I will.

TT
Eric has made an AWESOME case that this is a Merlin. But I note inconsistancies in the description. If the bird is 50 percent taller than a Robin, than it's NOT a Merlin...:G

But you're not sure

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 10:01 PM   #32

If TTfoto would give me permission, I know one of the better raptor experts in the US personally. I could post the image on my web site and send him a link to it and see what he says.

Photos of birds are always difficult because they don't convey size very well (and some times the colors are off, but that doesn't matter as much here.) And size really matters for this shot (and DBB and others have said.) I'd be happy with the image if it were either the Prairie Falcon or a Merlin. I've never seen a PF, so I can't make any statements about it from personaly experience.

I don't have my raptor book here, so I can't look at the tale markings that DBB called out.

I still want to say that that breast pattern should not be on a prairie falcon.... but that is based on the images that I have at hand, and not experience.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 4:56 AM   #33

eric s wrote:
Quote:
If TTfoto would give me permission, I know one of the better raptor experts in the US personally. I could post the image on my web site and send him a link to it and see what he says.

Eric, you have my permission to use the photo that i have posted!

Please. If this will settle this then all the better.

Cheers,

TT
TTfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 8:50 AM   #34
KEM

Here's a picture of a young Merlin a friend of mine took here in Oregon. Looks a lot like TTfoto'sbird and we're somewhat close geographically.

-Kent
Attached Images

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 9:16 AM   #35
DBB

KEM wrote:
Quote:
Here's a picture of a young Merlin a friend of mine took here in Oregon. Looks a lot like TTfoto's bird and we're somewhat close geographically.

-Kent
That's a pretty convincing shot....

These Falcons all have sub-species that vary, and that includes BOTH the Prairie Falcon and the Merlin. Your photo DOES look like the first, even it it doesn't look like the guys I shoot in Brooklyn.

Of course a definitive size would totally settle the matter.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 10:16 PM   #36

KEM,
Nice shot. I love that tail!

I'll send a link on to this image to a few friends and see what they think.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote