Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 3, 2006, 9:08 PM   #1

I built up a page of images for someone who is looking to buy a set of owl images from me. So I thought, why not share some of the web sized images with you all?

Here is a mink family that I got two images of. One with their heads turned the other way, and this one. This one looks really good when printed 13x19.

Then we switch to the owls:
This one was almost tame. It went and photographed it many times.

These two were taken in Florida:

This burrowing owl was in Florida as well:

This is a mated pair of owls, I believe. Eastern Screech owls ofen use many holds before leaving them behind for what becomes the actual nesting hole. The female is on our right.

Equipment:
1 - 20D, 600mm 1.4TC, tripod
2 - 20D or 1D MkII N (I don't recall) 600mm, tripod
3 - 1D MkII N, 600mm, 1.4TC tripod
4 - 1D MkII N, 600mm, 1.4TC tripod
5 - 10D, 100-400, tripod

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2006, 10:12 PM   #2

Spectacular images, Eric!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 8:49 AM   #3

Glad you like them.
The minks and the two screeches are some of my favorite images from all I've taken.

Eric
Old May 4, 2006, 10:50 AM   #4

first of all I would like to say those are great pictures. Raptors are most definately on my high list of birds to photograph.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Please anyone answer this for me. I am new to phtography and have a plain s5200. I look at the camera spec and am trying to covert into something I can understand as far as focal length. I see on the first photo you used a 20d, 600mm lens and a 1.4 TC, is my math correct in that I figured you are shooting a 35mm equiv of 1344 mm

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Like I stated I have a s5200( 38-380 mm equiv ) and am looking for a teleconverter. I have narrowed to 2. A TCON-17 ( 1.7 ) and a Raynox dcr 2020 ( 2.2 ) which should gve me 646 mm and 836 respectively. Please is my math correct on the conversions ?? Thanks to any and all whom reply
strickland36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 4:41 PM   #5
djb

Firstly, great shots Eric!!!! The mink family has to be the once in a life time type of shot. To get all 4 of them looking the same way or in any way is tough to do. The barred owl is really nice!! and I am so envious of the pair of screech owls!!!! they are one of my all time favorite birds!

Strickland, yes, your math is correct. I have (it's my wife's now) a fuji s602z with the raynox 2020. It is a nice combo!!! the s602z was only a 210mm equivalent at the long end. I posted a couple of shots with the raynox in the fuji forum some time ago. You might want to look there to get an idea of what the raynox can do.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 7:31 PM   #6

djb thanks for the respone. I have seen some really nice results from the s5200 with both the tcon-17 and the raynox, or at least they were really nice to me. I confess I am just starting out in phtography so I really do not understand some of the photos I see, but I do know what I like when I see it. Thanks for the feedback I thought the math seemed correct but I am not sure about the focal conversion on some DSLRs. now if I could only find a suitable 3x converter for my 5200 I think i would be good to go . thanks again
Old May 4, 2006, 8:08 PM   #7

I really enjoyed these shots eric. The screechers made me sigh. Great stuff.
Mountain Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 9:22 PM   #8

I'm glad you all like the images. That screech one is one of my favorites.

And I know I'm very lucky to have gotten that mink family. To get them to all look at me before running away was magical.

strickland36
You might consider looking at an EagleEye OpticZoom 5x Telephoto Lens. It's made in the UK, but I believe you can get it in the US. I've generally read good things about it. You'll probably need a tripod of some kind, as it is very powerful. Make very sure it would work with that camera, though. It doesn't work with every camera.

My setup is very powerful becuase you can't always get that close to birds. In Florida, well... that is another matter. But up where I live (near Boston MA) getting close is very hard, so I've spent a lot of money buying photo gear. What you have has a is reasonably powerful lens but with a teleconverter on there you are getting enough power that you might consider getting a tripod. They get in the way, they are annoying to carry around but they work and they work well.

Eric
Old May 5, 2006, 6:44 AM   #9

Eric first let me apologize I feel I hijacked your thread. You have some wonderful pictures. Like I said before I love the birds. we have a bald eagle in captivity not far from me, and it provides good shots ( not great ) , but here in Ohio we have over 100 nesting pairs. I hope to have enough lens , and skill to 1 daycapture them as well as you have these. I have considered the eagleeye option , but I do not think it will work with my camera ( still need more information ) , but wowo it would be nice to get a 5x. I have a tripod on my MUST HAVE LIST, becuse you are 100% correct. When I get up higher I can not hold it still . I did some trial test with the optical & digital zoom at full max. which equals 2166mm onmy camera, and I can tell you I could not get a stable image. I did not try the antiblur ( my camera does not have OS ) but I do not think it would havemade a difference. I am now in the process of buying some things like tripod , bag and such that could be transfered to a DSLR should I choose to upgrade later. thank you once agian , and as well those are awsome pictures.