Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 31, 2006, 9:51 AM   #1
DBB

These images are not that good, tried a new arrangement of equipment and as a result got greedy - These shots were all a stop and a half underexposed. They were taken over a forty minute period.

With no reason at all, I've always thought of Herons as dumb. Simple ignorance and prejudice on my part. Are their heads so narrow? All they do is croak? Whatever...

Well this Little Blue Heron, is a genius. He carried around a little minnow that he scaled, and then would drop this minnow in the water, and catch the fish that would come to take the minnow.

And I think about this incident over and over. And it's a marvel. And it's also sad, and reveals the limits of genius. Because this Little Heron will never be able to pass on this knowledge, which will probably die with him.

We, in out superiority over the animal world rarely appreciate how much our status is the result of the accumulated knowledge of all who come before us. Knowledge that was passed on and cumulative. While this little guy...

Dave

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/LILBLUEHERON1.jpg[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/LILBLUEHERON10.jpg[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/LILBLUEHERON16.jpg[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/LILBLUEHERON16a.jpg[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/LILBLUEHERON18.jpg[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/LILBLUEHERON19.jpg[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/LILBLUEHERON22.jpg[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/LILBLUEHERON5.jpg[/img]
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 9:53 AM   #2

Dave, that was very nicely done, I'm impressed!
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 11:01 AM   #3

Welcome back Dave !! Yeah, we don't give the animal world much credit, I think they have a lot more brain power than we attribute to them. Nice shots of an unusual bird [In fact my wife is standing looking onat my writing this, and she says they are Nicer than Nice ]

Your new equipment ???
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 12:29 PM   #4

Dave, you should submit that story and photos to a magazine somwhere! Great job.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 12:47 PM   #5

I was wondering when you were going to jump on the Heron bandwagon. Underexposed or not, nice series and commentary.
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 4:10 PM   #6
DBB

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Welcome back Dave !! Yeah, we don't give the animal world much credit, I think they have a lot more brain power than we attribute to them. Nice shots of an unusual bird [In fact my wife is standing looking on at my writing this, and she says they are Nicer than Nice ]

Your new equipment ???
Looks like some sort of Space Alien doesn't it?

I am shocked by watching this guy "fish." Course it wasn't live bait. In some of the images you can make out the discoloration on the end of his beak - it's the scales from the minnow. He actually scaled it to make it lighter...:G

Not really "new Equipment." I suddenly realised, that since I was shooting in ISO 800, I could go back to my 800mm adapter, which I had shot at ISO 400, and gain an extra stop - Meaning shooting at 1000 instead of 500 or 1250 instead of 640.

So I got greedy and shot these at 1000, forgeting how DARK the scene was...

I just have to get used to the change...

Dave
Old May 31, 2006, 5:41 PM   #7

Hey, you know what? Don't be so sure he won't pass his skill on the his decendents. He probably learned it from another Heron! COOL photos and interesting story

tigerwings1st
tigerwings1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 6:37 PM   #8

many animals are a lot "smarter" than we give them credit for. i could tell you about a crow i saw on Discovery channell one night, that had learned how to bend a piece of wire into a hook to reach a small bucket with food in it, inside a tube too small for the crow to reach directly... most don't "reason" in the sense we think of as "smart", but they certainly seem to know the best way to do what they need to do!

anyway, that's a marvelous series, and a very unusual bird! i haven't seen that variety before, any idea what it is?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 10:48 PM   #9

Awesome shots Dave! What a beautiful heron.......cheers.......Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:02 PM   #10
DBB

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
many animals are a lot "smarter" than we give them credit for. i could tell you about a crow i saw on Discovery channell one night, that had learned how to bend a piece of wire into a hook to reach a small bucket with food in it, inside a tube too small for the crow to reach directly... most don't "reason" in the sense we think of as "smart", but they certainly seem to know the best way to do what they need to do!

anyway, that's a marvelous series, and a very unusual bird! i haven't seen that variety before, any idea what it is?
Since I am spending twelve to eighteen hours a week shootinhg and obersving wildlife, all my preconceptions have just been blown out of the water.

I am "amused" at THIS preconception of MINE,that Herons are dumb.

This BTW is the Little Blue Heron. A methodical hunter, about the same size as the Snowy Egret.

Dave