Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:26 AM   #1

Canon EOS 30D, 1/250 @ f11, with flash E-TTL compensted 1/3 , 600mm f4 L = 1.4x

This bird, sometimes referred to as a "Wild Canary", was photographed in June in Oklahoma City, OK.

Here is the image properly composed.
Attached Images

redrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:54 PM   #2
VP

Nice colors.....seems to be in deep thought.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:03 PM   #3

Wow, great color and DOF.

Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:18 AM   #4

He must have flown over to my house near Tulsa Oklahoma. :G I use a 20D and Canon 75-300 5.6 Not as good as your pic but I am just learning. You set the curve real high. I notice you use a 1.4X multiplier, Do you like it or should one go for the 2X?
Attached Images

RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:59 AM   #5

Oh oh, he made it all the way to Minnesota and met with my D200 and 80-400mm VR. :-)

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:38 PM   #6

Very nice images in Tulsa and Minnesota. To the question of 1.4x versus 2x. Since the Canon 20D like the 30d both have a crop factor of of 1.6 I feel the 1.4x teleconverteris sufficient for my photography. Teleconverters can depreciate resolution and of coursethe loss of 1 or 2 stops in aperture. The quid pro quoof Teleconverters are thesedetriments.The degradingof resolution is more my concern than the increase in focal length. With my zoom lens, I find teleconverters are a little more degrading than with prime lens. Some teleconverterswork better than others which is another factor.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:12 PM   #7

What teleconverter would you suggest for a canon 75-300 on a budget
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 6:02 PM   #8
Log

its not a good thing to use teleconverters on low bidget lenses such as the one you menioned as it will degrade the quaility alot and wwill reduce you light.

Logan

PS al the pictures are quite nice!
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:12 PM   #9

Asanother post suggests, teleconverters are not going to make the resolution any better than the quality of the optics in front of it. My experience with professional bird photographers andothers who can afford the very best lens,getting closer to the subjectis stillbetter with birds if you wish a better image.Trying to get a better image by increasing the focal length of the lens utilizing a teleconverterwill certainly reduce having tocrop the image but by not adding a teleconverter and getting closer tothe subjectyouwill geta better image and that is the ultimategoal.

Most of us cannot afford a $7000 telephoto primelens to use with a teleconverterso we need to make other adjustments to improve our images.I recommend using anauxiliary electronic flash (not the built-in flash)with birds. Particularly if the bird is in subdued light, like among tree branchsorwhereyou are photographing into a bright background. This will give the image more saturation and detail. Post processing is the wonderful savior of our marginal images and learning to properly adjust images with post processing programs can provide improvements.

But to answer your question, if you wish to purchase a teleconverter to use with your Canon zoom lens I suggest using a Canon1.4x Extender (teleconverter).

Let me add that you should make sure whatever teleconverter you use withyour lens, itis compatible, i.e. that it willmechanically mate with your lens,otherwise it might result in damage.