Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 18, 2006, 1:48 PM   #1
DBB

Friday was a great day for me. Got quite a few great pictures. But THIS one, is the only one of what should have been a whole bunch. A flock of wild Parrots came by and I blew it. I treated them like domestic Parrots, running after them, unconsiously expecting them to land on my shoulder and ask for a cracker.

So by not treating them as wild animals, all I got one this one shot. It's early morning Yellow light, and my field guide while showing quite a few species of Parrots (established in Florida or Texas) doesn't cover THIS bird.

How they survive the Winter, I have no idea. I do know of another wild flock that lives in the civilized part of Brooklyn, and they have a huge sealed dome of a nest, and I imagine body heat keeps Them warm - But their a different species and don't, as far as I know, visit the beach...

I would guess they are from 12 to 15 inches long. Tail is green, no red that I could see...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:01 PM   #2
VP

Look at this Dave. One photographer mentions taking pics of one flock visiting the beach. I ran across this while trying to find the name of some wildparrots I took some pics of recently. They have been causing some concern about building nests around transformers.

http://www.brooklynparrots.com/
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:58 PM   #3
DBB

A thousand thanks for the link! Yes, it appears that these were Monk Parrots. As a matter of habit I never reveal nesting sites of these birds because I fear poachers. So while I appreciate this site, I fear they are giving away to much. Parrots ARE valuble...

The nest I know about is not on their page, and I'll keep it to myself. The people who live on that block are engaged in a conspircy to keep it quiet...

Again, thanks for the link!

Dave
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:36 PM   #4
VP

Glad to be a little help Dave. You have been very generous about helping all of us with bird ID around here.

I understand what you mean about the secrecy, always those looking for the easy buck. Around the area I took my pics it is pretty common knowledge where they hang out, but apparently they must have a measure of protection.

For reference, here is a pic I took. It does look a little different, maybe yours is a juvenile?
Attached Images

VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:35 AM   #5
DBB

VP wrote:
Quote:
Glad to be a little help Dave. You have been very generous about helping all of us with bird ID around here.

I understand what you mean about the secrecy, always those looking for the easy buck. Around the area I took my pics it is pretty common knowledge where they hang out, but apparently they must have a measure of protection.

For reference, here is a pic I took. It does look a little different, maybe yours is a juvenile?
He might be. I'm still kicking myself for not being more patient and actually getting some shots of these birds. I can't explain how thrilled I was to see them.

They are such social birds, and maybe it's my habit of asking strangers for crackers that I owe to them...

Clealy I was a Parrot in my last life... :idea:

Dave
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:24 AM   #6

I was on a parrot forum a couple years ago and a woman was frantic because she discovered that in the state where she was moving quakers were illegal. Some of the states are downright draconian – notice Pennsylvania says "(will euthanize)": http://quakerville.net/qic/statelaw.asp Everyone advised her to take the bird with her and hope the parrot Gestapo didn't knock on the door.

They are loveable little pets. Most raised by humans from birth roll on their backs to have their tummies groomed. I saw a sun conure do that once, but the quakers all seem to do it.

Quakers have a communal nesting strategy that makes it possible for them to expand into colder climates. We have gobs of quakers along with other exotics here in Florida. This is a shot of the quakers sharing my feeder with a flock of conures. The conures are larger and seem to dominate, but they get along OK. I thought the quakers were noisy until the conures showed up – those guys are NOISY.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote