Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:07 PM   #11
DBB

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Hi again Dave. I showed this shot to one of our local bird experts, and he thinks it's a young juvenile Coopers Hawk. I don't know. There seem to be so many hawks and falcons that look like this guy, maybe I'll make my own name up....the Kmanhawk...I like that...:G....cheers.....Don.

DBB wrote:
Quote:
It lacks the distinct helmet of the Peregrine. I would say you have a Merlin! Nice shots!!!!

Dave
Oh, I thought I covered my self pretty well with my post...:G

I'm sure it's NOT a Peregrine...

But I'll go further, I'm sure it's not a Coopers, Juvenile or otherwise...

It MIGHT actually be a Juvenile Red Tailed, "borialis."

But that would be a BIG bird. A Merlin, is not a very big bird, maybe half again the size of a Robin...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:09 PM   #12

Maybe this will help guys. Here are two shots of a captive peregrine from a Raptor release.

Now for your Kestral.....

Finally a Merlin....

Does that help??

I agree on the young juvie Coopers hawk...

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:31 PM   #13

Ooo, nice shots there Buzzsaw. Mine doesn't really look like any of these. He was quite a good sized bird. I'd say at least 12 inches tall....Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:54 AM   #14
RDV

Nice photos! It looks like a young coopers. These bird raided my purple martin colony often when the babies started to fledge. They are very fast with a short choppy wing beat and rarely miss their prey on the wing.
RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:28 AM   #15
DBB

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Ooo, nice shots there Buzzsaw. Mine doesn't really look like any of these. He was quite a good sized bird. I'd say at least 12 inches tall....Don.
Well, to go o er this one more time. You have one shot of this bird in flight. This is VERY helpful.

The pattern does more or less match that of a Merlin. A Merlin is more or less in a tie for the smallest hawk in North America. It stands about 12 to 14 inches high.

The pattern does NOT in any way match the Coopers.

In the still shots, hard to tell, but the small cirucular spots match a morph off the Red Tail - But that is a big bird, and the flight shots looks completely different.

So, once again - Merlin!

Dave
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:02 AM   #16

Check out this link and tell me what you guys think.

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=76338
Old Aug 11, 2006, 2:17 PM   #17
DBB

I'm not a member, you join for me...

Dave
Old Aug 11, 2006, 3:02 PM   #18

It's the preeminant birding/photography website.... and it clearly shows that it's a juvie Coopers. :-)

P.S. Dave, it doesn't cost anything to sign up, just about one minute to fill out your info.... kinda like this site. :G
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:51 PM   #19
DBB

1. This thread is taking far to long to load, so this is my last post.

2. The following are images of the Merlin...

Now, hawks can vary quite a bit. But one thing that holds up pretty well is the PATTERN on the undersides of the wings.

If you look at my image two, and the image of this bird in flight, you will see that the pattern is an exact match. This is confirmed by my extensive collection of field guides.

And of course the Cooper's while not a big hawk, is FAR larger then the Merlin.

Don states that this is a small Hawk.

Finally of course, this is DEFINITELY the sillouette of a Falcon and not a Hawk. That alone should settle the matter.

Dave
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:02 AM   #20

Did it not dawn on any of you guys that you are looking at two different birds???

Photos 1 and 2 are90% probablea young Coopers.

Photo 3appears to be very much a Peregrin Falcon. I was almost sold on the Merlin, but having done a fair amount of research on this, the Merlin often will have spotting very similiar to the Peregrine, however, the Peregrines spotting is much more uniform, and ends approximately 3/4 up the wing towards the tips. Te Merlins spotting will continue almost to the very end of the wing. The Merlin as well, does not ever acheive the dark area around and below the eye as dark as this bird has. This is more of the underdeveloped color of a young Peregrine. I sent someone at Cornell this link, I will let you know what they come back with.

They are not the same birds. Note the heads, and the banding, and striping of the chest and necks. Two different birdies.

By the way if you're interested in the other 10% Check out the Sibley and the Kaufman guides, and see where the Northern Goshawk Juvenile is the only one with a rounded tail, and uneven tail barring. The Cooper's has a much straighter tail and straight barring. The larger, more uneven streaks leading to spots on the chest are more prevalent to the Goshawk, as the Cooper's has thinner more defined streaks. All in all though based off of coloring around the eyes, the size that he claimed, and head to bill ratio, I agree with everyone else that it is most likely a Cooper's.

Tom W is offline   Reply With Quote