Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 14, 2006, 9:02 AM   #1

Then there was the gene Simmons wannabe.......

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:13 AM   #2

Excellent photos Buzzsaw (Mike?). Love the composition, colours, sharpness......I could go on........Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:58 PM   #3

Very beautiful! I like hummers and your pictures of them. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 9:15 PM   #4

WOW :shock:They are unbelievable

Boily
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 9:20 PM   #5

Thanks guys, I'm humbled! Keep up the good work yourself guys and gals.... it's nice to see what your seeing as well. :-)
Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:43 AM   #6

Stunning shots buzzsaw. Particularly like the first set, beautiful colors.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:03 AM   #7

Excellent shooting. Always interested in setup details. Location and position of equipment.

Thanks for sharing and making mois so inadequate - lol
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:44 AM   #8

Wow, I just noticed that all of you guys are from Canada! I'm jealous, you have the best waterfowl habitat going up there. Anyways, to answer the question, I set up my Nikon D200 on a tripod about fiften feet away from any flowers that attract Hummers, usually it's the Trumpet Vine or in this case an Asiatic Lilly located in my backyard. Depending on the light I set my exposure compensation, usually to -0.3 EV, and I like to shoot at ISO 400, it's enough to usually freeze the floating shots of the hummer, but gives you the wing blur that is so distinctively the hummer calling.... ya know speedy wing beats. Don't get me wrong, I do ramp it up to ISO 800 if it's windy and they're moving around more than normal, it just makes for a nosier photo. I always "try" to get eye level with everything I shoot (except birds in flight) as I'm not a big fan of shooting down on a subject (Zoo shot as I call them) I always like the sun at my back and adjust to it's movement to maximize the light. If you are taking mid afternoon shots you will probably want to use a flash fill to take care of the shadows caused by high sun and set the exposure compensation to either -0.3 or -0.7 EV so you don't blow the highlights and preserve the details. I delete soooooo many pictures it's amazing, thank god for digital eh?!

As far as taking other bird and duck shots, I am a hunter so I use the same mentality taking wild bird pics as I do when I'm hunting them... slow movements, camo or neutral colored cloths and I scout and find area's that are going to first off have the right angle of sunlight, a nice background in an area that holds the subjects I'm looking for. One little tip.... Ilike those little hard to shoot Warblers, there always in the shadows of the trees and grass and hard to get a great photo of right? Well I was talking to this retired gentleman and he asked if I could identify birds by there call? I said, some yes, but most no... he told me to learn the songs and I could maximize my time better by waiting in area's where I knew the birds were hanging out. So I went out and bought a device that mimics birds... it's called the "Ideniflyer" andyou buy a card with different bird songs on it and learn them. Well, he also told me that some birds are more curious and/or more territorial then others ie... common yellowthroats, Tanagers etc... and if you play there song, they will come right to you.... Waaa Laa!! It was like I was in the blind duck hunting all over again, only with a little bird call.... my wife says I'm whack and my kids love it. Google the word "identiflyer" and check it out..... Cardinals are also curious birds.

One more thing.... photo in the golden early morning and late day hours... :G
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:48 AM   #9
KEM

Once again, Excellent! Some CC :......... hmmmm, I have none

-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Once again, Excellent! Some CC :......... hmmmm, I have none
I'll give you some bullets... my top one is cropped so so... I should have put the flower in the top right corner, the bottom hummer's neck whites are slightly blown.... there's more I'm sure, but those really stood out to me. But thanks, I appreciate your feedback and comps. :-)