Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > A Word from Steve's

Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:33 PM   #1
Administrator

Default New Forums for Mobile Devices

After members expressed interest in having forums specific to Photography using Mobile Devices (Smart Phones and Tablets), as in the Smartphone Photography thread started by PvrFan), we've decided to make some additions and are pleased to announce the following new forums that you can find in the new "Mobile Devices (Tablets, Smart Phones)" Section here:

General Discussion - Mobile Devices
General Discussion about photography using Tablets and Smart Phones

Android
Discussion specific to devices running Android

IOS (Apple iPad, iPHone)
Discussion specific to devices running the IOS Operating System

Ubuntu Mobile
Discussion specific to phones and tablets running Ubuntu

Windows (Phone, RT)
Discussion specific to devices running Windows Mobile Operating Systems (Windows RT, Windows Phone)

Other Mobile Operating Systems
For discussion about Mobile devices using Operating Systems not already included in this section

It's always tough to decide what to change, so that it's not confusing to members trying to decide where to post about a given subject (and too many forums can contribute to that). However, as popular as the use of Mobile Devices (Phones and Tablets) is becoming for Photography, we decided to add these new forums so that members have a place to discuss them.

Please keep in mind that general photography subjects (composition, etc.) and posting of photos are probably better made in our existing forums (for example, we already have forums setup for posting photos of People, Landscapes, Sports, Vehicles, HDR Images and more). But, forums specific to Mobile Devices should allow members to discuss photography needs unique to them.

Thanks for your continued support, and we look forward to seeing members take part in discussion about photography with mobile devices using these new forums.

JimC
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:00 AM   #2

Best to lump them all in together to make a nice cozy crowd Jim. I've been advocating this for ages over at the hybrid forum, converting it to multi discipline name. Between hybrid, action POV, rc, video on stills, and mobile there hopefully will be enough people to keep it active.

Thanks

Wayne.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 3:03 PM   #3
Administrator

It's very easy to merge multiple forums back into one single forum later.

But, it's virtually impossible to separate the threads and posts from one forum and split them into separate forums later (unless you want to screen every thread and post manually and decide where to put them, as I wouldn't trust search algorithms to do a very good job for that kind of thing versus human judgement calls on what posts belong in what forum).

So, even though I didn't expect a lot of traffic to those forums to begin with; if mobile photography interest surges in the future, we'll already have separate forums setup the way we implemented it (separated into different mobile operating system categories the way we decided to do it, versus even finer grained categories separated by phone brand like some sites do now, which would have meant a lot more forum choices)

If mobile photography interest doesn't ever pick up in the future as far as forum activity here, then it would be very simple to merge multiple forums (currently separated by mobile operating system type) back into a single mobile photography forum later (whereas the opposite is not the case unless you want to read every forum thread and post and decide where to put it later).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:19 AM   #4

I see Jim, you could just leave old posts in the general parent forum each time a sub forum is created. I know that forums need activity from a few people. Mobile photography and video sounds like it could cover POV action, RC and hybrid which would lump enough people together that can read interesting things from one another..

I've talked to fishy about renaming the hybrid forum a number of times. I forgot what the best suggestions are, they are posted there. But "Small Cam (Hybrid, mobile, RC, Action sports POV cam)" was something like it. But the issue is what to do about the hybrids forum, virtually nobody is left. Manufacturers also have dropped the ball with dropped sales, innovation is down. We were hoping that with the low end 4k chips available it would pickup, but the manufacturers are not using them. We think they have moved onto mobile and off forum, and to pocket stills cameras, all of which are all really 'hybrids' today. To get new people we have to really appeal to them in the new areas they are in unfortunately. This means early reviews of the best equipment, which Fishery used to do, but on the front page articles, interesting articles on these areas and lots if activity to get a vibe. We have a general forum where everybody can come, but too many other forums for the numbers.

I also had thought about a new category "Video on stills" about the art of doing video on still cameras.

Thanks Jim.

Wayne.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote