Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Xtreme Makeover (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/xtreme-makeover-82/)
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 113805] (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/xtreme-makeover-82/%5Brecovered-thread-113805%5D-111094/)

Bagsfan5 Jan 7, 2007 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A co-worker approached me with this portrait and asked it I think it could be restored. Well, I took on the challenge and said YES.....

How do you think I did? Any comments are welcomed. I am posting the origial and the restored portrait.

Bagsfan5 Jan 7, 2007 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Restored Portrait

slipe Jan 7, 2007 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice job on the cloning. I started with your restored version and brightened it up a little. Yours reflects the old character of the photo and I don't disagree with the treatment. But I would personally be inclined to bring it back closer to the original rather than the aged photo.

Barry Jan 7, 2007 3:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pretty good! The background could still use some work (or you could replace it).

borrie869 Jan 7, 2007 5:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hey thought i would give this one a go as im always up for some photoshop, my tactic was to replace the background and than alter the portrait to repair any marks, than i went over the face lightly with some blur techniques to remove some of the jpeg artifacts that were present and than altered the colours, anyway heres my attempt.

Bagsfan5 Jan 7, 2007 5:56 PM

Thank you both for comments and examples..... I really want to learn more about restoring photos.......

Slipe --- Nice work ....How did you get the original color of the photo??? What version of Photoshop did you use? Can you explain the steps of doing this?

borrie869 -- I like this technique. Is there a way to send me a step by step way on how to do this???

slipe Jan 7, 2007 7:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually the face had already been colorized in the original photo. I added the green in the uniform. Photoshop CS.

Unsharp mask: amount 16, radius around 160.
Auto levels
Select uniform and add green with 20% opacity.

The last is my guess as to what the background might have been like in a formal portrait. Just selected the background and added some Gaussian blur. Then some smudge and a little saturation increase.

The uniform needs some cleaning up but I'm reluctant to mess with it any more and lose detail.

StevenC Jan 8, 2007 5:04 AM

borrie869 wrote:
Quote:

hey thought i would give this one a go as im always up for some photoshop, my tactic was to replace the background and than alter the portrait to repair any marks, than i went over the face lightly with some blur techniques to remove some of the jpeg artifacts that were present and than altered the colours, anyway heres my attempt.
Sorry to intrude, but I just thought I'd say - That is unbelievable.

Bagsfan5 Jan 8, 2007 7:39 AM

borrie869 -- It is very interesting that you did the same thing with the eyebrow that I did at first...... In the original, the eyebrow is kind of rough looking and not straight. Well, at first, I made the eyebrow look nice just like you did...... When my co-worker saw the photo, she asked, "What did you do to his eyebrow? His eyebrow was not that pretty. He was in alot of fights." When I was touching up the eyebrow, I thought I was doing something good.....

I am not telling you that the photo is bad.... you see from my message above that I LOVE the way you restored it..... and I am using the photo that I restored his eyebrow to look pretty in my portfolio..... I think it looks much better.

borrie869 Jan 8, 2007 7:53 AM

the funny thing is i didnt even realise i had done it untill you mentioned it, i would have been zoomed in on the eye and seen it and thought it was a mark in the photo. i will try to write up the process i went through after but for the moment im not thinking straight enough to do so